Saturday, January 20, 2007

Words fail me here

I like to think I’m a pretty smart guy, but I can do some remarkably stupid things. I should clarify, in this particular instance I’m not talking about life threateningly stupid, but never-the-less I should really know better. For my most recent act of stupidity I stayed up all night, and am now paying for it while I sit here at work thinking, “well this sucks.” It wouldn't be so bad if I were still 18 (it still would have been stupid, but at least as a teenager you're expected to occasionally do those sorts of stupid things), however I'm 31 so apparently I'm just a big idiot.

I know I have no one but myself to blame for this, but in my defense my work schedule is a contributing factor. Of course my own behavior regarding that work schedule is an even bigger contributing factor. Roughly speaking my work rotation is 4 evening shifts (2:30pm – 11:00pm), followed by 1 day off, followed by 4 morning shifts (6:30am – 3:00pm), followed by 2 days off, and repeat (it is actually a little more complicated then that, but this covers the basics). My trouble always comes with that 1 day off in-between my evening and morning shifts. I basically get up for work, so on days when I have to be at work at 2:30pm I rarely get up before 11am (and often not until 12pm or even sometimes 1pm). Not surprisingly I don’t go straight to bed when I get home from work; I usually stay up until about 3am (or sometimes 4am, or more rarely 5 – 6am). Now if I only worked evening shifts this behavior would be fine, but I don’t work just evening shifts. I unfortunately seem incapable of using the 1 day off to turn my sleep schedule around. No I, if anything, tend to stay up even later the night before my day off, which means I don’t tend to wake up until even later then usual. Consequently I’m never tired at 9 or 10pm when I should be going to sleep (since I need to be waking up at 5:30am the next day).

SpymateUsually I’m doing pretty well if I get 4 hours of sleep the night before my first morning shift, last night however I got none. Was I engaged in some important endeavor that would explain my all-nighter? Of course not. I was watching TV. I started off with Stargate SG-1 on Sci-Fi and watched episodes of that from 10pm until 2am. Why oh why didn’t I go to bed at that point? Apparently because it was critically important for me to watch the movie Angel Eyes on TBS from 2am until 4am. I guess I’m not getting enough J.Lo in my media consumption. Please oh please let it instead be because I’m not watching enough James Caviezel movies. The real kicker is I've seen that movie before (my opinion of it is basically neutral) so there was no reason to stay up and watch it again. At this point you’d think I’d still try and take a nap at least before work. However, no, I’d rather stay up and watch BeastMaster (the TV show and not the movie) on Sci-fi. Well now its 5am, and I usually get up at 5:30am, so what do I do? I find a horribly bad movie on Starz Kids & Family to start watching. Oh yes, I start watching Spymate; a movie about a chimpanzee spy. Let me say that again, a chimpanzee spy. . .

Here is a little tip. If the movie you are watching features a nonhuman primate as one of the leads, it probably isn't a very good movie.

BloodRayneI do have plans to continue the horrible movie madness this evening. I'm thinking I'm going have to take in BloodRayne tonight on Sci-Fi. I don't see how I can miss this opportunity to watch my first Uwe Boll film. I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a truly awful film.

Well with that I think it's time to bring this odd little post to an end. I have no doubt the next time I blog about something it will be the usual anime related topic (or perhaps RPG). On the plus side this entry officially makes January my most prolific month. I guess I can take solace in that.

As an ending treat, and to cleanse the palate a little. I leave you with this picture, entirely unrelated to anything else in this post, of Suzumiya Haruhi (on the right - from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) and Fujiota Haruhi (on the left - from Ouran High School Host Club) dressed in each other's school uniforms; I do this mostly because this picture really amuses me.Haruhi & Haruhi

No comments: