Sunday, September 24, 2006

Another first, if a dubious one

Man am I hungry. Actually while that statement is true as I type it, by the time I get around to posting this it will likely no longer be the case, as I am cooking spaghetti as I type to rectify that vary situation. However until I actually eat that spaghetti the statement stands, “man am I hungry.” I am not surprised that I am hungry, because I always get hungry when I go out drinking. I went out drinking because today one of my coworkers got married. My immediate supervisor, in fact, and since the wedding dance was held within walking distance of my house, and I wasn’t working, and she invited everyone at work who was interested, it seemed like a good idea to go. So this marks another first for this blog; I’m posting while tipsy. I’m at that lovely state where I’ve had just enough to drink, that I feel very good, but not so much that I’m going to do anything really stupid. I know this because as I was walking home I was drunk enough to think driving to Alexandria to go eat at Perkins sounded really good, but not so drunk that I didn’t immediately veto the idea as being pretty stupid (and let us not forget unsafe).


I had quite a bit of fun. This evening reminded me that I should go out more and make an effort to be more social. No offense to the people I regularly get together with for gaming, since that is in fact me going out and being social, but in addition to that I should go out and be more social in situations where there are strangers, and women present. The evening really brought home for me the fact that I have now officially been single for far too long. In what would have been an unlike me fashion I very nearly made an attempt to do something about that tonight. One of the bartenders there was very cute, and I had actually convinced myself to ask her for her phone number when alas I noticed the engagement ring. I take some solace in the fact I noticed the ring before asking her for her number, as opposed to after, but never the less but for that ring I would have taken a very big step tonight regardless of the outcome.


I did somewhat surprise myself by actually dancing at this wedding dance, which is more then I did at the wedding dances of my last two cousins who got married. I would go so far as to say I haven’t danced this much, at least this much in public, since my college days, and even then I only actually danced after I had consumed enough alcohol that I didn’t care that I was dancing. I cannot say that was the case this evening, I had only finished one drink when I started dancing tonight. I can only say that apparently when your other supervisor (as opposed to my immediate supervisor who was the bride) whom you have a small crush on suggests you join her on the dance floor your only correct answer is yes. Before anyone gets any ideas about there even being a slight possibility of an office romance in my future let me quash those thoughts by saying she’s a married woman. For that matter even if she wasn’t a married woman, the idea of dating someone I work with strikes me as being such a bad idea, that I’d never pursue it.


Well this post does in fact guarantee I will never tell anyone I work with that I have a blog. Let me end this post by saying two things. First my spaghetti was very good. Second, and in proper MasterCard commercial fashion, rum and coke at your supervisor’s wedding dance: $2.50. Being on the dance floor at the same time as your call center manager and dancing to “Baby Got Back” with her: priceless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No females in your group? But...but who will bring random projects to work on between battles and make little blobs of fabric and pennies that later become the supreme green blob bad guy counter?
I mean, you need the feminine touch in these conflagurations from time to time, ne?

Anonymous said...

And, upon further consideration about you getting out and doing stuff...

...I got some iron pours coming up...I don't know that glow-y metal is your thing, but, well, it *could* be...